Shenandoah Summer Music Theatre is a professional, non-Equity company in its 39th season produced by Shenandoah Conservatory of Shenandoah University. The 2023 season is as follows:
Rehearsals: 6/7 – 6/23
Performances: 6/23 – 7/9
Rehearsals: 6/27 – 7/14
Performances: 7/14 – 7/23
JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT
Rehearsals: 7/11 – 7/28
Performances: 7/28 – 8/6
Each show runs two weekends with performances Thursdays through Saturdays at 7:30 pm and 2:30 pm matinees on the second Wednesday, second Friday, and every Saturday and Sunday (Note: Jersey Boys will run 3 weekends with one additional weekend of performances). Technical staff reports May 30, rehearsals for the first show begin June 7.
All shows are produced with full sets and costumes and the complete cast and orchestra as licensed. The entire company averages 100-150 members, ranging from interns working their first professional contract to season industry leaders with regional theatre and Broadway experience. Audiences are drawn from a 150-mile radius; total attendance for a typical season is 20,000 people.
Housing is available in a motel-style university residence hall (single room with private bathroom) or you may make your own housing arrangements; you are responsible for your own meals.
SSMT is a professional theatre with an educational mission. All positions are paid, and all departments have an intern or entry level position geared to undergrads seeking professional experience early in their career trajectory. Department heads and members of the creative team are expected to lead in a professional manner and serve as mentors for young theatre artists.
WHAT WE’RE SEEKING:
We like to work with people who love what they do! Applicants should be organized, collaborative individuals who know how to trust their instincts to deliver a polished product in a timely manner. As part of our educational mission, applicants with strong leadership skills are strongly encouraged to apply.
Please direct general inquiries and questions to Managing Director, Ms. Elizabeth Albert (email@example.com).
- Housing is located in a motel-style university dormitory and creatives receive a private room with a private bath. There is access to a communal kitchen, and we recommend a microwave and small refrigerator for your stay. Free and plentiful parking at the dorm and at the theatre.
- The dorm is directly across from campus, and within one block of the dorm is Starbucks, Sheetz (open 24 hours with many food options), Walgreens, Urgent Care, Planet Fitness, and other restaurants and shopping. A major grocery store is two blocks away; further down the road are Target, Walmart, and other retailers and restaurants.
- All productions are professionally photographed and video recorded. A short promotional video is created for each production, and you may share this and any photos on your website/reel. For an additional fee, our resident photographer/videographer can assist you with any specific photos/video footage of you and/or any specific moments in the production and adapt them into your reel as needed.
- Nestled in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Winchester and the surrounding counties are home to historical attractions, outdoor adventures, hiking, state parks, wineries, breweries, agritourism, and so much more. Take an extra day or two to enjoy the area!
- Old Town Winchester has a four block long walking mall with local restaurants, shops, and bars. Not to be missed!
- Winchester is located 70 miles west of Washington, DC and is easily accessible by car. If arriving via train, plane, or bus to DC, we will provide transportation to and from Winchester.
- Many of our creatives and company members return often, and we foster a culture of growth and support. Our alumni are working on Broadway, national tours, and in prominent regional theatres across the country.