Shenandoah Summer Music Theatre has partnered with Grafton Integrated Health Network and an advisory board of local special education teachers to present our first-ever relaxed performance!
At a special performance of THE SOUND OF MUSIC (Tuesday, July 30th at 1:30 pm) the theatre environment will be modified to welcome our youngest theatre goers and those with sensory processing disabilities.
- House lights will be left on at a low level.
- Sound levels will be modified to remain consistent and at a lower level than a traditional performance.
- A quiet space will be available for any families who may need a break from the stimulation of the experience. Ticket holders may enter and exit the theatre when needed during the performance.
- Seating will open early and will be general admission so families can choose what seats will work best for them.
- Designated areas will be marked for those who need to move more during a performance.
- Families are encouraged to bring comfort items (special blankets, cushions, headphones, etc.) to ensure everyone is comfortable during the performance.
- Concessions will feature a menu specifically geared to younger audience, and traditional house rules will be relaxed, permitting families to bring snacks and drinks (in closed containers) into the theatre.
- There will be a meet and greet with members of the company in the lobby after the show.
Special resources are available to assist families with advance preparation and may be downloaded below or requested from the Box Office.
- Picture guide and detailed map of theatre building to prepare your family to visit the theatre
- “Meet the Seats” event the week prior to the performance (Friday, July 26, 1:30 pm) to allow families to prepare for their theatre-going experience
- Plot synopsis (noise and light alerts will be added Sunday, July 28)
- Specific accommodations (wheelchair space, braille program, sign language interpreter, etc.) may also be available; contact the Box Office at least 3 days in advance.
Assisting our front of house staff for this performance will be Grafton-trained house managers as well as community volunteers with special education experience.
Tickets for this special performance are $15 (general admission), and may be purchased online, at the Shenandoah Conservatory Box Office in the lobby of Ohrstrom-Bryant Theatre, or via phone at 540-665-4569.
For questions, contact Associate Managing Director, Elizabeth Albert, at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Box Office at 540-665-4569.