Shenandoah Summer Music Theatre has partnered with Grafton Integrated Health Network and an advisory board of local special education teachers to present our first-ever relaxed performance!
At a special performance of THE SOUND OF MUSIC (Tuesday, July 30th at 1:30 pm) the theatre environment will be modified to welcome our youngest theatre goers and those with sensory processing disabilities.
- House lights will be left on at a low level.
- Sound levels will be modified to remain consistent and at a lower level than a traditional performance.
- A quiet space will be available for any families who may need a break from the stimulation of the experience. Ticket holders may enter and exit the theatre when needed during the performance.
- Seating will open early and will be general admission so families can choose what seats will work best for them.
- Designated areas will be marked for those who need to move more during a performance.
- Families are encouraged to bring comfort items (special blankets, cushions, headphones, etc.) to ensure everyone is comfortable during the performance.
- Concessions will feature a menu specifically geared to younger audience, and traditional house rules will be relaxed, permitting families to bring snacks and drinks (in closed containers) into the theatre.
- There will be a meet and greet with members of the company in the lobby after the show.
Special resources will be available beginning 6 weeks before the performance. These resources will assist families with advance preparation and may be requested from the Box Office.
- Picture schedule and detailed map of theatre building to prepare your family to visit the theatre
- “Meet the Seats” event the week prior to the performance (date and time TBA) to allow families to prepare for their theatre-going experience
- Plot synopsis, including noise and light alerts
- Specific accommodations (wheelchair space, braille program, sign language interpreter, etc.) may also be available; contact the Box Office at least 10 days in advance.
Assisting our front of house staff for this performance will be Grafton-trained house managers as well as community volunteers with special education experience.
Tickets for this special performance are $15 (general admission), and may be purchased at the Shenandoah Conservatory Box Office in the lobby of Ohrstrom-Bryant Theatre or via phone at 540-665-4569.
For questions, contact Associate Managing Director, Elizabeth Albert, at email@example.com or call the Box Office at 540-665-4569.